My Confession

Filed under: by: Fat Girl

"I need to tell you something."

Thus the conversation began in my house last night during a 15-second commercial break. My husband and I were lying on our bed watching a show on-line. (It was Castle in case you're curious.) Whenever I start with, "I need to tell you something," I know I have my husband's undivided attention. I've been known to admit to some pretty radical deeds. (And no, I won't confess those here, in case you're still curious.)

"What is it?" asks the husband.

"I've been losing weight behind your back."

Yes, I said those exact words. No, my husband didn't feel I had anything to confess. Yes, he was very supportive.

See, today is the 13th day on my journey to weight loss and, until last night, I hadn't told anyone outside of my blogging friends. It just seemed too painful to tell my family AGAIN that I was trying to lose weight AGAIN.

But it occurred to me. I need to have faith that it is going to work this time. That I am going to be successful this time. And, by not fully signing on to the challenge, (ie keeping it a secret), I wasn't fully committing to it working out.

So I told him.

I feel better.

Here's to the next 378,
(honest) Fat Girl

8 comments:

On September 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM , Sunny ☼ said...

It takes a lot of dedication, but it also takes patience...And I know you've heard this before, but seriously, if I could do this, you can too. I've been down a weight loss road many times, but here's the thing...this is a different road, it's the last one. If you truly want it to be, it will be your last one too. Opening up about it to your husband is a good thing, especially if he is the supportive type, so no mistake there...You're taking all the right steps. I wish you all the best, and I'll be back to offer support. Thanks for sharing.

 
On September 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM , Erin said...

sometimes we feel like if we don't tell anyone we're losing weight (or trying) no one will be able to judge us when we slip up or fail. but no matter how many times you've tried and failed in the past, anyone who is less than supportive THIS time, you don't need them in your life. you need to believe in yourself and have people around you who believe in you too.

by the way! thanks for following me officially lol! much appreciated.

 
On September 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM , lyricgirl said...

I can relate to you. I started on my weight road trip over two months ago and I decided to tell only 3 people. My sister, mom, and a coworker. I was tried as well taking my friends down this road again. They are very supportive but this is my thing. It's been rewarding doing it this way because when they see me their comment is "you look good what are you doing?" I just smile and say "thanks, I am doing life." Good luck and stay strong.

 
On September 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM , Anonymous said...

Good for you! I know it's so hard. And it's great that he supports you. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

 
On September 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM , Sharilee said...

thank you for your kind comments on my blog! I am now following you, too and your blog is hilarious. I love the structure that you have created with different topics on different days.

 
On September 28, 2009 at 6:25 AM , Leslie said...

Hi! Good for you for coming clean OUT LOUD to your husband. I think that helps make us more accountable when we tell at least a few folks about our efforts. Congrats on the doctor appt. where you lost 13 pounds in a month!

I'm going to read through your archive today while at work. Welcome to this blogger community. Lots of support and inspiration. I just started this in June and it's been great. Stop by my blog if you have a chance. Good luck!

 
On September 28, 2009 at 2:53 PM , From Fat to Fit said...

..."I've been losing weight behind your back."...cutest line ever!

I know it sucks to let people in on your plan, just in case it doesn't go as one would hope. Glad you have a great support!

 
On September 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM , Anonymous said...

"I've been losing weight behind your back".

This made me howl. It sounds like you're confessing to something horrible!