Whole Living

Filed under: , by: Fat Girl




















It's Magazine Monday, and I am excited to bring you my take-aways from my June edition of Body + Soul. (Yes, I am behind on my magazine reading. So be it.)

Here's what I learned:

1. If you're trying to lose weight, pay attention to what you drink. A recent study found that cutting out sugary beverages speeds weight loss, (page 28).

2. Even if you're the healthiest of eaters, a summer getaway can set off a dietary bender that leaves you feeling greasy, lethargic, and a few pounds heavier by vacation's end. The reason? "Many of us eat by routine, and one of the biggest challenges of traveling is the change in that routine," notes Connie Diekman, R.D., director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis. Planning is the name of the game when you're trying to eat right on the road," (page 42).

3. Pace yourself. As life speeds up, it's tempting to run faster, accomplish more. This does little, however, but strip your gears and deplete your resources. This month, try the opposite: Slow down. Breathe. Remember the pleasure of doing--and enjoying--one thing at a time. After all, you don't reach worthwhile goals in a flurry of movement, but through single-minded focus and a quiet, patient resolve, (page 71).

4. The right music can make you look forward to exercising, and it might even help you build stamina. Try up-tempo tunes for best results, (page 75).

5. Missteps and false starts are part of any process. The key to staying on track lies in viewing each one as a minor glitch instead of a system failure, (page 96).

Here's to the next 377,
(healthy) Fat Girl

1 comments:

On September 29, 2009 at 5:16 PM , From Fat to Fit said...

Amen to #4! Music can totally make or break a workout. I still don't get why my gym plays Enya. It makes me want to sleep. I can see having it on in the Yoga Studio, but out by the weights??